BRCA BRCA one nine: We have more waiting. I repeat: we have more waiting.

 


I did have my MRI yesterday. It was not the smoothest experience, but I got it done. They told me that it would be read before the end of the day (yesterday) and my provider would call with the results today. Unfortunately, neither of those things happened so… more waiting. 

While I was awaiting the MRI results, I was surprised to get my results from the genetics testing! They told me it would take about 3 weeks, so I wasn’t expecting them yet. I opted to only test the 19 markers that have a proven correlation with increased cancer risks, rather than the full panel. Other markers may have shown abnormalities, but wouldn’t really provide verifiable, cancer-related insights  (just anxiety…) so I didn’t think it would serve my best interests. 

All 19 of the markers tested were negative for mutations, including the BRCA genes. This is extremely good news, and also means that I won’t be directly passing any of them down to Patton. However, due to a strong family history of cancers, they did recommend that my close (biologically) female relatives get regular screenings and, if applicable, start them early- at age 38.

Tomorrow, I meet with the plastic surgeon, and…maybe I’ll also get my MRI results?!

Comments