More more is more less (and Tammy still sucks)

 


Today I had a consultation with Dr. Lee, the radiation oncologist. He wants me to get in with the medical oncologist (Dr. Joyce) before I have any kind of surgery. It was always the plan that I would see Dr. Joyce, as she will be in charge of the hormone blocking medication, but yesterday’s additional discoveries mean that there is a greater chance I’ll have to have chemo, and that could even be the first course of action. So, they want me to see her soon so she can weigh in.

Dr. Joyce can also do oncotype testing after I have whatever surgery I end up having:

What: The Oncotype DX Breast Recurrence Score test is a unique genomic test that helps women recently diagnosed with early-stage invasive breast cancer. The test generates a score of 0-100 based on 21 specific genes in your breast tumor tissue that was removed during surgery. This unique set of genes predicts your response to chemotherapy as well as the chances of your cancer returning to provide personalized information that is not available from any other test or measure.

I am scheduled for the ultrasound (and hopefully biopsy) on the “new” right side mass Monday. Good old Tammy called today (F*#% you, Tammy!) and scheduled the MRI guided biopsy for the “new” left side mass on 10/6. I assume since she did the MRI, and she’s the one who called, that she will also be doing this one.

Yay.

It sounded like they will do both sides at once during the MRI guided biopsy if the ultrasound guided biopsy doesn’t work, so I guess that’s good news.

Dr. Lee said that everything will likely change if either of the other masses are cancerous. He threw around the words  “chemo” and “mastectomy” more than I would’ve liked, that’s for sure. He said that cancer in someone my age is a lot more “unpredictable”, which doesn’t seem awesome… So, yeah. I learned what will happen if I have a lumpectomy and radiation, but it’s very much up in the air if that’s what the course of action will be, now. If I have to have a full mastectomy, I probably won’t have to have radiation. But also…I might. I could have a lumpectomy on one side and mastectomy on the other. I could have chemo to shrink the tumors and then a lumpectomy. I could have lumpectomies on both sides. I could have mastectomy and chemo… Literally every plan is contingent on what we find out in the biopsies, so I keep getting more and more information, but *knowing* less. 

Comments

  1. I tried to comment yesterday but after careful thought and a couple of long paragraphs I hit the publish button and it said there seems to be a problem.
    I said to myself next time I will e mail or call but here goes anyway!
    I know you are disappointed with the way things are going as we are after the MRI but it needs to be thorough now that you have been diagnosed. So that can be a good thing. We sure don't want anything missed. I hope this is just a delay in your treatment. Your mother and I know what you and Brant are going through. You are going to beat this and be fine! All the worry comes with the territory Sadly it will be with you for a good while. Try to keep your thoughts in a good place. We are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment