How U Feelin?








I had my first physical therapy session since before surgery. My PT, who I’ve seen for years, seemed EXTREMELY surprised and impressed with my recovery and range of motion. I thought I was doing pretty well, but it was really encouraging to have him respond this way when I know he’s seen lots of clients who have gone through this. I am under the impression that, as long as radiation doesn’t “fry” my tissues too badly, I might not have any significant long-term damage to my range of motion! As you can (hopefully) tell from my picture, I can fully raise my arms overhead (!!), and only have a little pulling in my right armpit. I do have some scar tissue that feels restrictive on my sides (where my drains were) but my PT is confident that he can address that.

I also saw my plastic surgeon this week. He was also very pleased with my recovery. This Wednesday will mark 6 weeks since surgery. At that time, I am cleared for… basically everything! I can sleep however I want. I can exercise. I can wear whatever kind of bra I want. For the most part, as long as I feel up to it, I can do it. 

I had my second post-surgery fill. It’s even more weird than the first. The tissue expanders have to be expanded to a somewhat larger size than the size of the implant that they will eventually be replaced with. The tissue expanders are hard, do not move, and stick out really far. The silicone implants will be soft and squishy, will have movement, and will “settle” more against my body. It’s not so bad now, but I will have at least one more fill-possibly 2 or 3, depending on the amount of saline used each time, and it’s going to look and feel pretty weird until the exchange surgery. He says he won’t do the exchange until 12 months after radiation… so I’d better get used it it. 😆 I’m hopeful that he’s just saying that as a “worst case scenario”, and that if my skin is less damaged than expected then maybe I won’t have to wait that long, but I don’t know. Whatever… I’ll deal with the plastic Barbie boobs as long as I have to if that means I’ll have the best results.

I still haven’t heard back regarding the mammaprint results, and the hospital (along with my oncologist, her whole department, and the infusion center) is moving to its new location tomorrow, so I don’t know how much all of that is going to impede my progress for results, appointments, and treatment. At least my body will be nicely healed before I have to do the next thing!


















Comments