Long, long weary day

 



Oh, boy, yesterday was SO DUMB.

I woke up around 2:00 am with nightmares/terror. I was sweaty and shaky and confused. I had hot flashes. My neck and the area recovering from port surgery were extremely painful. I got up to take some ibuprofen, but I couldn’t think. There were too many steps- they’d told me to eat something before ibuprofen to minimize stomach upset. I needed more water. The security alarm was set. I couldn’t figure out how to do it. I was so confused and my brain was so broken that it took me 20 minutes to problem solve the steps necessary to safely and quietly take some ibuprofen…😐

I went back to bed, and hoped it would go away.

It did not.

I was anxious and sweaty and the confusion continued. My ears were ringing. My mouth tasted weird and sweet. I was still in pain. 

 I got up and called oncology when they opened, but trying to make sense of the phone numbers on the sheet was worse than trying to take ibuprofen! (Although in my defense, their sheet is outdated and has the names of docs who no longer even work there…)

 It was extremely difficult to understand their questions, and I felt like they didn’t understand me at all. I barely even spoke to Patton before he left for school, which was also distressing. 

Ultimately, they had me come in for a blood sugar “finger stick test”, which they decided was in normal range. They believe I had a bad reaction to the steroids and that’s what caused all of this. Next time, they will still give me the IV steroids, but will not send me home with pills. Hopefully my stomach will survive that change, as the steroids are sent to control nausea/vomiting.

I am feeling better today. I still feel like shit, honestly, but it’s a huge improvement over yesterday. I got a good night’s sleep. My stomach is a little upset  and my brain is a little fuzzy but as long as I don’t have to “math” I can function…

I am halfway through my first “cycle” as of today, so hopefully I’m on the upswing until we start all over again next Wednesday.

I week down…

Comments