Smaller and Smaller

 




Things have drastically improved since the last day of radiation. The above pic is from today. Below is from just over a week ago.


I do still have some areas that are peeling, but I’ve had absolutely no weeping or oozing, no infection, and the skin coming in underneath is perfect and intact.


Here is my armpit from today. You can see some of the skin “globs” in the creases.



This one is from post-radiation.



My radiation oncologist wasn’t all that helpful, and left me to fend for myself over the holiday weekend (when everything was the worst), but I ended up using a combination of Medi-honey and Vitamin A & D ointment. As you can see, it healed me up pretty quickly! Once this last sensitive peeling spot is done (only one area still hurts) I should be in the clear! The radiation oncologist’s concerns that I am a “peaker” were unfounded. Thankfully, I started healing right away, rather than getting worse before getting better! 

I don’t know how things are faring on the inside. I had to stop for a few days due to pain and range of motion problems, but am now able to resume my PT exercises (and BeatSaber! 😆). I see the plastic surgeon Wednesday, so hopefully I’ll have a clearer picture of what my final reconstruction will involve. I feel like I’m doing well, but I don’t know if he will feel the same.

We were able to visit Brant’s parents last week. I wasn’t sure if travel would be difficult for me, but it went ok and we had a nice visit. Ethan went with us, and helped with lifting Patton, which made it possible for us to go. I don’t know how many people are aware, but the same week that I finished radiation, Brant’s dad was diagnosed with stage 4 (metastatic) kidney cancer. Please keep Brant (and his family!) in your thoughts as he goes straight from one cancer trauma to another.

 It’s been a very trying year.




Comments