Update-ish?

 


My final pathology report came back today. It came in via MyChart. It was extremely complicated and medical and confusing. A couple of hours later, Dr. Liu’s office called… but it wasn’t Dr. Liu, it was one of the nurses. So, I have information, but it’s somewhat limited.

My left side came back with a good report. The ductal carcinoma in situ (stage 0) had not progressed at all. There was no additional cancer, and the 2 lymph nodes taken from that side were also free of cancer.

She said the invasive ductal carcinoma tumor on my right side measured 3.4 cm. I was originally told it was 4 cm, so it might be a little smaller than we thought? 

There were 5 lymph nodes taken on the right side, one of which we already knew was positive for cancer. Unfortunately, a second lymph node also had a “micrometastasis”, which is a fancy way of saying that it had just started becoming cancerous, as well.

I don’t know what the additional positive lymph node means for my treatment. Dr. Liu is meeting with the tumor board today to discuss it. I may have to have more lymph nodes removed when I have my port placed on Wednesday. They could recommend changes to my chemo and/or radiation plans. I just don’t know. I also don’t know if my cancer is still considered stage 2, or if that has changed now that they have the full pathology. Stages 0-2 statistically have the best prognosis, so I’m hoping I’m still at 2.

I have an appointment with Dr. Liu tomorrow, and might also get to have 1 or both of my last 2 drains removed while I’m up there. I should have a clearer picture of everything after the appointment.

A second positive lymph node is not good news, but I have to remind myself that it’s out of my body. In fact, ALL of the cancer that we know about is out of my body and has been for over a week! 

Comments