Updatier update

 


I was mistaken yesterday. Dr. Liu is meeting with the tumor board on Tuesday, so I don’t have their input yet. That said, they are only discussing one aspect of my pathology report, and that is the second positive lymph node. They will discuss whether they think the 6 lymph nodes already removed on that side are enough, or if I should have more removed. The navigation nurse thinks that they will be on board with chemo and radiation taking care of any stray macro/micrometastases, but if they recommend the additional removal then that’s what I will do. If I do have to have more removed, then my port placement surgery will have to be rescheduled. I would have both surgeries done at once, and they don’t have enough time booked Wednesday to make that happen.

My left side is totally clear. The DCIS was so small that they had trouble finding it! I was under the impression that she took 2 lymph nodes on the left, but she took 5, and there were absolutely no signs of cancer.

I was not able to get my other 2 drains out today. They are right at the top of the “allowed” output to get them out, and everyone felt more comfortable giving it a couple more days. The other 2 “port holes” are healing perfectly- no issues after removal.

I was not able to tell from reading the pathology report, but all of the margins were clear. There is at least 2 clear mm all the way around each cancerous area, so that is good news. There could be some stray cancer cells floating around my body (hence the chemo and radiation), but I have tno remaining “clumps” of cancer cells post surgery.

The final concern from the pathology report is my official stage. Most people are aware that there are stages 1-4 when it comes to cancers. There is actually also a stage 0, and that is what I had in my left breast. There are also letters to further differentiate between the states, but I am not fully clear on what those mean. Stage 4 breast cancer is metastatic, and considered incurable, though it is treatable, and some people respond well to treatment- not to mention, new and improved treatments are becoming more and more available.

I was estimated at stage 2 prior to surgery. I was very concerned that the additional lymph node was going to re-stage me to 3- still considered curable, but with a slightly lower success rate than stage 2. However, after ALL of the information came back, I’ve been re-staged to Stage 1b!! I don’t know what the “b” means, really, but I’m in the category of the “best” you can be if you aren’t stage 0 or straight up cancer-free!

I’m pretty terrified if chemo since I’ve already been having so much trouble with my digestive system, but overall I’m feeling a lot better about things. 

Comments